Published on June 10th, 2011 | by Rob Kwong1
Wii U: What We Know So Far
Over the past few days the internet has exploded with the news of Nintendo’s new console the Wii U. Unfortunately the Wii U’s controller took the main stage rather than the system itself, but nonetheless Nintendo fans wanted to know more of what the Nintendo Wii U will offer. Well we did some digging around and rounded up everything we could about the new console for all of our readers. Just know these may be subjected to change since the console hasn’t been released yet!
- Discs for Wii U are not blue-ray but hold up to 25 gigs of memory (which equals up to a single layered blue-ray disc)
- Will support 1080p HDMI
- Audio will support AV and 6 channel PCM HDMI
- Will support expanded memory through USB and flash SD memory cards
- Contain up to four USB 2.0 ports
- Sport a 45-nanometer multicore IBM processor
- Use a 32-nanometer AMD video processor based on the company’s R700 series
- Will support Wii accessories like the Wiimote
- Use a tablet-like controller that has a 6.2 inch 16:9 touch screen, camera, gyroscope, accelerometer, two circle analogue pads, rumble capable, microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip, and a stylus
- Will be capable of supporting one of the new Wii U tablet-like controllers at a time.